January 20, 2019
1. The course will be well marked with course with arrows. and course monitors.
2. Monitors will direct you at crucial points along the course.
3. 10 aid stations will be stocked with water and Cliff shot electrolyte drink ( aid#1 water only)
4. Energy gel will be available to marathon runners at selected aid stations after aid station #2.
5. Mile markers will be in place throughout the course.
6. Cut off is inforced at 7 hours. which is close to a 16 minute mile.
The Redding Marathon and Marathon Relay will begin at the Shasta Dam Visitor's Center parking lot at 8 am January 20, 2019
You will run directly onto the road that crosses Shasta Dam. Once you have crossed the Dam there is a paved road that descends for 1.75miles
where you will access the paved Rail Trail. You will run on the Rail Trail for the next 10 miles with the Sacramento River on your left with the first
7 miles being relatively flat and fast. You will come to the first aid station at 3.75 miles. Just after the aid station you will run through an old 1923 railroad tunnel . The aid station #2 is at Matheson Mine, mile 6.4. You will continue down stream on the flat Rail Trail to the Keswick Boat Launch and the first marathon relay handoff. Aid station #3 is also located at this spot.
You will continue traversing the paved Rail Trail across Spring Creek Dam where you head towards Iron Mountain Road Road where you will cross and run on Rock Creek Road for over 2 miles. Volunteers will then direct you onto Granite Drive where you will have your biggest climb into the historic town of Old Shasta. Once you are into Old Shasta you will be treated to over 4 miles of beautiful urban paved trail that will descend back to the Sacramento River trail and portions of the original Redding Marathon . Running south will take you to the Diestlehorst Bridge . From there you will head north on your only out and back of the course.
Now on the north side of the Sacramento River Trail, you will make your way to the FINISH LINE passing aid stations #10 and #11. THE SUNDIAL BRIDGE WILL GREET YOU ALONG WITH FRIENDLY VOLUNTEERS, FINISHER MEDALS, FOOD AND BEVERAGES.